The Lewis Barnavelt series of adventures was created by John Bellairs, starting with the award-winning 1973 book The House with a Clock in its Walls. Bellairs quickly followed up with two adventures in the series starring Lewis (The Figure in the Shadows; 1975) and his friend, Rose Rita Pottinger (The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring; 1976).
The series was dormant during the 1980s - as Bellairs focused his books on the escapades of Johnny Dixon - but was on the verge of a comeback when Bellairs died in 1991. Author Brad Strickland was commissioned to complete the two book Bellairs had begun prior to his death (The Ghost in the Mirror and The Vengeance of the Witch-Finder) as well as construct a third from Bellairs’ scant notes (what would evolve into The Doom of the Haunted Opera).
In 1998, Dial published The Specter from the Magician's Museum, the first in the Barnavelt series to have been written entirely by Brad Strickland. The series last saw production in 2008 with the twelfth title, The Sign of the Sinister Sorcerer.
By John Bellairs
- The House with a Clock in its Walls (1973)
- The Figure in the Shadows (1975)
- The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring (1976)
By John Bellairs, Completed by Brad Strickland
- The Ghost in the Mirror (1993)
- The Vengeance of the Witch-Finder (1993)
- The Doom of the Haunted Opera (1995)
By Brad Strickland
- The Specter from the Magician's Museum (1998)
- The Beast under the Wizard's Bridge (2000)
- The Tower at the End of the World (2001)
- The Whistle, the Grave, and the Ghost (2003)
- The House where Nobody Lived (2006)
- The Sign of the Sinister Sorcerer (2008)
- In France the 10-book series was known as Kévin et les Magiciens by publisher Editions du Rocher who changed the names Lewis to Kévin and Rose Rita’s to Emily "to give the books a more American feel to French readers."
- Japanese books in the series carried the name ルイスと魔法使い協会 (Lewis and the Witch Association).
- The books published in Brazil included the Portuguese phrase "Coleção Aventuras de Lewis Barnavelt" (Adventures of Lewis Barnavelt collection).
- Once Upon a Midnight Scary (1979)
|Lewis Barnavelt Series|
|By John Bellairs|
|Completed by Brad Strickland|
|By Brad Strickland|
|Who's who||Lewis Barnavelt | Rose Rita Pottinger | Jonathan Barnavelt | Florence Zimmermann|
|What's what||Barnavelt House | Fountain|
|Where's there||New Zebedee, Michigan|